Cambridge IGCSE History offers the opportunity to study world history from the nineteenth century to the beginning of the twenty-first century. It encourages learners to raise questions and to develop and deploy historical skills, knowledge, and understanding in order to provide historical explanations. Learners will explore history from a diversity of perspectives, including social, economic, cultural, and political, and are given the opportunity to:
• develop an interest in and enthusiasm for learning about and understanding the past
• explore historical concepts such as to cause and consequence, change and continuity, and similarity and difference
• appreciate historical evidence and how to use it
• gain a greater understanding of international issues and inter-relationships
• learn how to present clear, logical arguments.
Our programs balance a thorough knowledge and understanding of a subject and help to develop the skills
learners need for their next steps in education or employment.
The aims describe the purposes of a course based on this syllabus.
The aims are to:
• stimulate an interest in and enthusiasm for learning about the past
• promote the acquisition of knowledge and understanding of individuals, people and societies in the past
• ensure that learners’ knowledge is rooted in an understanding of the nature and use of historical evidence
• promote an understanding of key historical concepts: cause and consequence, change and continuity, and
similarity and difference
• provide a sound basis for further study and the pursuit of personal interest
• encourage international understanding
• encourage the development of historical skills, including investigation, analysis, evaluation and communication
Grade descriptions are provided to give an indication of the standards of achievement candidates awarded
particular grades are likely to show. Weakness in one aspect of the examination may be balanced by a better
performance in some other aspect.
Grade descriptions for Cambridge IGCSE (9–1) History will be published after the first assessment of the IGCSE in
2020. Find more information at www.cambridgeinternational.org/igcse
Ready to transform your education? Explore our interactive courses and start your educational journey today! Click the contact details below to begin your personalized learning adventure.